Educators: Interested in a grant to help your students participate? Click here.
Educator grant applications open until November 30, 2013. The contest opens on February 1, 2014 and closes on February 28, 2014 at 12:00pm (noon).
2014 Theme: Health Belongs to Everyone
Each of us is personally responsible for making our own healthy choices. But for too many of us, conditions where we live, learn, work and play can limit our choices and our opportunity to be healthy. More than that, health depends on more than just the care we get at the doctor’s office – like having the opportunity to purchase healthy food and breathe clean air and drink clean water. We all want a community where everyone can be healthy—where health belongs to everyone.
So, pick up your camera and capture your own ideas of what health for everyone looks like!
What could I win?
The following prizes will be awarded:
- 1st Prize $300
- 2nd Prize $200
- 3rd Prize $100
What are the rules for the contest?
- You are age 12 - 18 on February 28, 2014.
- You live in Oregon.
- Your entry is an original photo taken in Oregon.
- Only one entry per person
- The file format is JPG format, minimum of 4 megapixels.
- You must include your name in the image’s filename (i.e. janedoe1.jpeg).
- Both a title and caption for your photo will be required. While a title provides a short description or introduction to your picture, a caption of 50 words or less will tell us how your photo speaks to a healthier Oregon.
- By submitting a photo, you agree that this is an original photo that you have taken, and that Northwest Health Foundation may use your photo for future, non-commercial purposes.
- The photographer will take full responsibility for the content of the photo.
- Your entry will be judged on how well your photo, title and caption captures health. A panel of judges comprised of youth, government public health officers and employees from Oregon companies and nonprofits will select winners in March 2014.
Who will see my photo?
Photos will be displayed on the Northwest Health Foundation website. In addition, selected photos will be displayed at a variety of events and locations around the state.
This year, we are offering grants for educators to help them engage with the photo contest. We know that many educators may be inerested in their students participating, but costs may be a challenge or the photo contest may offer an opportunity to tie in other curriculum.
What is the criteria for the Educators' Grant?
- Sponsors will award 3 grants for $250 each.
- Grants are for educators including teachers, specialists, administrators, nonprofit program staff or any other person identifying as an educator.
- Funds may be used for the purchase of equipment, supplies, materials or curriculum related to participation in the 2014 Oregon Youth Photo Contest OR related to the 2014 Oregon Youth Photo Contest theme of “Health Belongs to Everyone.”
- Grant funds will be made payable only to public bodies, tribes or tax-exempt charitable organizations.
- No formal grant reports are needed, though the Foundation reserves the right to request receipts/invoices up to 90 days following the contest deadline.
- We expect one or more students/youth served by the grant to submit a photo to the 2014 Oregon Youth Photo Contest by the contest deadline and otherwise meet the criteria of the 2014 Oregon Youth Photo Contest.
- Sponsors of the 2014 Oregon Youth Photo Contest may solicit grant awardees for quotes, samples or materials related to the contest and may use identifying criteria including your name, organization, location and students as MUTUALLY agreed upon by you and the sponsors in written or electronic writing.
11/30/13 –Grant applications must be submitted by noon on Friday, November 30, 2013.
12/16/13 – Grant applicants will be notified by email of selection status
1/16/14 – If awarded, awardee’s school or organization will receive grant funds no later than this date.
2/1/14 – Youth may begin submitting their photos at http://nwhf.org/photocontest
2/28/14 – Youth must submit their entries by noon on Friday, February 28, 2014.
3/31/14 – Winning youth are notified
Educators' Grant Application