The Farm Bureau: Bad as all that?
Eric Schlosser’s recent look at the nefarious attempts of industrial food processors to deflect their own responsibility to our nation’s health by labeling their critics as “elitist,” has brought to my attention a new evil empire: The American Farm Bureau.
While I was aware of the Farm Bureau, I did not know they:
1. Deny the threat of global warming
2. Attack the legitimacy of federal environmental laws
3. Are responsible for a shill entity called the “U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance,” which is backed by a long list of powerful trade groups, and defends current agricultural practices.
According to Schlosser, these practices include:
1. Intimidating critics of the industrial food system (a system where 85% of all cattle in the U.S. are now slaughtered by just four companies)
2. Preventing the public from merely being aware of many industrial farming practices
3. Blocking the labeling of genetically modified foods, and even preventing the labeling of milk and meat that come from cloned animals!
Is the Farm Bureau really all that bad?
And what about the Oregon Farm Bureau?
Are they as atrocious as the National Farm Bureau seems to be in perpetuating industrial farming and blocking the consumer’s right to know?